Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Our big girl!

Our big girl!
Growing so fast!

Kylie 1 day old

Kylie 1 day old
Curling up

Bryleigh Addison

Bryleigh Addison
Our youngest miracle

Followers

Search This Blog

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Those were the days...

Tonight, while eating dinner at a local restaurant, I saw Mr. Satterfield, my 8th grade Social Studies teacher. Mr. Satterfield was one of 5 teachers for our core classes at Madison Cross Roads (the others were Mrs. Ibezim, Mrs. Dickgeiser, Mrs. Bailey, Mr. Abernathy). The 8th grade teachers at MXR took great pride in the bond they shared as educators in order to create a positive atmosphere for the students. When a position in the 8th grade came open, I remember the teachers telling us that they interviewed the candiates together as a team, and they all had a say in the hire of the newest addition. Each teacher had a unique sense of humor, and when you put them together, I can honestly say I think we had the best, most hilarious, most caring group of teachers anyone could ask for.

My eigth grade year was a year of freedom that we all knew we deserved (we had been in the same school since kindergarten), and it was a special kind of freedom that many of us respected; after all those years, we were FINALLY the top of the school. I think the small size of MXR in those days was something that we took for granted, because we were able to have 9 grades in one building, and we only had one subject-area teacher per grade (in middle school). We had no more than 120-130 kids in our class, I think, and many of us went to school together from K-8 (and most of us went to high school together, too). Our parents knew each other well. Most of us made up the cheer squad/basketball/baseball/softball teams at school. Our little siblings were in the same grade. We didn't worry about drugs, or alcohol, or sex- those things did not exist to me in middle school. It's not that we were sheltered so much as it just wasn't an issue at our school. If one person stepped out of line, the parents normally found out about it easily, and it was taken care of immediately. Our parents never blamed the teachers for problems; they went directly to us, and our parents trusted the adults to take care of us and make good decisions for us.

In 8th grade, I learned a lot about life and morals and values. Though we had a lot of fun and laughing, we had a lot of structure and life lessons as well. Mrs. Ibezim, a teacher I had feared my whole time in school, was nothing like what I expected. Granted, in Science we did mostly book work, she taught us about agape, loving yourself, and respecting others. The teachers treated each other with respect, and they ALL worked together on things. The kids saw this, and they worked together.

I know it sounds like I am painting a false picture here, but this is how I remember middle school. Sure we had some issues, but what middle school kid (or teacher) doesn't every now and then? I use my middle school days as examples to my kids, but they normally can't get past the "only one english teacher, math teacher" etc. to get what I'm trying to tell them.

Tonight, seeing Mr. Satterfield reminded me that I am so blessed to have received an education at Madison Cross Roads School. No matter what anyone says, I am who I am because of the teachers and adminstrators who believed in us and molded us into respectful, responsible human beings. As a student, I respected and looked up to every teacher in the building (with the exception of one or two, but I was too young to see them differently then). My fellow classmates did not, to the extent we have today, disrespect and cuss out and flat out disobey the teachers like they do now. Maybe part of it was the big wooden paddle with holes drilled into it, but regardless, we were a bit afraid of trouble, and we knew that whatever trouble we got in at school was NOTHING compared to the trouble we had when we came home.

Today, as I look at my profession and I look at kids everywhere (in the news, out in public, at dance, at restaurants, at school, at daycare, etc), and I look at parents everywhere.

Where did we go so wrong in this world that we stopped teaching and expressing the importance of values, morals, respect, and kindness? Today, I see parents who do not parent. Parents who accuse the teacher before hearing what REALLY happened. Parents who think their children are perfect angels WHILE their kids are yelling at them and chewing them out. (If I EVER raised my voice at my parents in public, they didn't care who was around, they would have knocked my flippin' teeth out!) Parents who want to be the "FRIEND" and not the PARENT. I see parents who are too busy with their own lives to TEACH their children how to act and react, how to make positive decisions, and how to participate in conflict resolution. I see parents who ignore their children when out in public and let them run around like banshees.

I see children who are not taught to respect all people regardless of their differences. I see children who are not taught to respect others enough to behave in public. I see children who are not taught the difference between right and wrong, or children who are taught that if someone does something to you, you get to get them back. I see children who are always looking for a reason to be angry. I see children who have absolutely no respect for any adult. I see children who are self-absorbed and who have an "entitlement" issue.

If I could tell these people anything, it would be this:
Parents: You need to get off your behinds and start being an adult. A child cannot raise themselves; that is YOUR job. You need to put your personal life aside and teach your children right from wrong. You need to model respect for others and others' property. You need to MODEL positive behaviors and good choices. You need to step up to the plate, because quite frankly, your current methods of parenting SUCK and make you look bad. Do your job. Teach your children to accept and respect others, regardless of their age or difference. Do not push hatred or disgust on them. Love your children, and hug them daily, but do NOT be their friend. Teach them what it means to work hard and to appreciate what you have.

Kids: You need to get off YOUR behinds and start appreciating the gift of life. Life is too short to spend it miserable, angry, or upset. Life is too short to spend your life trying to pick up the pieces from bad choices. Learn how to respect adults, regardless of how you feel about them. Learn to bite your tongue and keep in those smart remarks and rude statements. Do not talk about people, and don't put yourself in a position that you may not be proud of. Be happy that you get to go to school to get an education, and stop doing things to jeopardize that. Try hard in everythign you do; the way kids act today, there aren't going to be many options for you when you get older and into the working world.

It terrifies me that my children are growing up in a society where people feel so many things are more important than their own children or growing family. My students already think I'm "old fashioned" and a "mean" mom because I am standing by the principles I grew up with. However, if more people were raised using these same principles, we as a country would be in much better shape.

So tonight, after my rant, I thank my teachers at Madison Cross Roads for believing in me while instilling respect and courtesy. I thank them for helping raise me with the same morals and values my parents had, and I appreciate their love for us. It is truly an honor to be an MXR Comet.

No comments:

Post a Comment